Monday, August 8, 2011

SCBWI LA - A Recap

SCBWI LA 2011 was an incredibly special year, especially because they just celebrated 40 years. Whoop! Whoop! And with keynote speakers like Judy Blume, David Small, Bruce Coville, Jerry Pinkney, Laurie Halse Anderson, the hilarious Libba Bray, and many more, I left feeling not just a creative spark emerging but literal fireworks! 

 
When I arrived to LA I found my roommates Cyndi Kremsner and Jenny MacKay. 

Then I ran into one of my critique partners Christopher S. Ledbetter whom I've never met in person, but already know so well (you definitely get to know a lot about someone when you read their work). And of course the fabulous Ellen Hopkins.

 It was great meeting new friends as well. Here are some writer/illustrators I had lunch with and when they pulled their cards/postcards out for me to have, I couldn't have been more blown away with how much talent attended this conference. 

Here's another great friend and critique partner, Amy Allgeyer Cook.


And since I'm such a blog fanatic I had to take another picture with Mary Kole. I've learned a ton from Kidlit.com and feel like she's been my teacher in a bloggy kind of way.


And one of my favorite Facebook friends and authors, Jay Asher. It was a blast hearing about his adventures in LA over lunch. 


Bret Ballou from YA Muses and Kristen Crowley Held


Having more lunch with friends Craig Lew and Sarah McGuire.


Here's the delicious and VERY creative dessert we had.  


Look I'm reading my dessert and oh, it was a damn good read!!
 
Then to end such a magnificent weekend, I saw these two guys dancing on the tarmac on my way home from LA. It counldn't have been a more perfect ending.

So if you've never been to SCBWI LA, I highly recommend it. You walk away with not only a new way of looking at your work, but inspiration from those who've already walked the author path and are extremely happy to help pass that energy and wisdom on to you to make sure you succeed as well. Happy writing and illustrating everyone!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Naomi! I am Alice, one of the illustrators you met! I am checking out your blog. Great recap of the conference. Literary fireworks for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice! Thank you so much :) It was wonderful meeting you. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved LOVED seeing you!! It's always such a treat! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome recap of the conference and great photos. Sooooo nice to finally meet you in person. You're a wonderfully fine person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *Shucks* Chris :) You too were a joy, but I already knew that from your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool! I'm so jealous right now! Especially your pic with Jay Asher OMG! Can we photoshop my face in there somewhere?

    Glad you had fun, writers conferences are a blast, and a definite kick in the pants to get writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! Marewolf, you're welcome to photoshop your face in there as much as you'd like :D And so true, I'm writing as I write this, but really writing even though I'm writing this. *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete