Monday, June 14, 2010

Interview with Author Lisa Yee


Lisa Yee is the author of BOBBY VS. GIRLS (ACCIDENTALLY) which has been named a Top 100 Books to Read and Share by the NY Public Library. Also in 2009, her YA novel, ABSOLUTELY MAYBE, debuted. Both are published by Arthur A. Levine Books/Scholastic. Other books include the MILLICENT MIN trilogy and the American Girl novel, GOOD LUCK, IVY.

She has been a journalist, written for television, and penned lyrics for jingles. Her superb collection of Winnie-the-Poohs (second largest in America) now resides in the White River, Canada Pooh Museum. And she can spike her hair in less than 5 seconds.


Since this blog is about offering inspiration to writers and artists, my first question for you is, do you have a favorite quote? If so, why is it your favorite?

I don’t have an absolute favorite quote, but I do like a lot of what Anne Lamott has to say in her must-have book for writers, BIRD BY BIRD. For example, she says,

“Almost all good writing begins with terrible first efforts.”

I’m a great believer in terrible writing. I know mine is . . . at least when I begin. When you give yourself permission to be awful, the writing can flow – and you can always (and I do) revise it later.

In your writing career, who’s had the biggest influence on you? What did they do to inspire you to keep writing?

My editor Arthur Levine has had the most influence on my career. He pulled me out of the slush pile, and has always believed in me.

If you could be any hero, real or make believe, who would it be and why?

I’d love to be a hero to my children. Supermom!

Lisa you are so funny on many levels!! Who do you think inspired you to become the funny woman you are today?

I never knew I was funny until I won the Sid Fleischman Humor Award. I guess, I tend to look sideways at the world. That is, I look beyond the obvious, and that’s when humor reveals itself to me.

How would you define your road to success; straight, twisting, full of hills, a mountain, muddy, or lumpy?

Full of hills, peaks and valleys, but a great ride.

If you could pick one word to describe yourself, what would it be?

Eclectic.

Thank you Lisa Yee for bringing joy and laughter to so many.  You're an amazing fun-filled author/person and I'd definitely have to say that you ARE Supermom!

If you'd like to find out more about Lisa Yee please check out her phenomenal website here.  Also don't forget to visit her blog that's sure to bring you a ton of laughs and maybe some big money with her current 75-ish Annual Bodacious book contest.  The contest is awesome.  Check out my bodacious entry below and enter today.


2 comments:

  1. "I’m a great believer in terrible writing..."

    Me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good bye, sentimental soul mate :)

    ReplyDelete